POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Rendering memory limitations : Rendering memory limitations Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:24:34 EDT (-0400)
  Rendering memory limitations
From: pirateprincess
Date: 17 May 2007 00:50:01
Message: <web.464bdea734f9c3f4d5b864c00@news.povray.org>
I have been working with .POV scenes generated from PyMOL (PDB crystal
structure files).  I am trying to tesselate a specific crystal structure
image across a plane and have utilized 15-20 copies of a simple DNA double
helix.  The .POV file is roughly 30 megabytes.  I am working on a quad-core
G5 (Mac OS X 10.4.9, Pov-Ray 3.6.1 for Mac) with 4GB RAM and am receiving an
error that reads "Parse Error: Out of memory.  Cannot allocate 116 bytes for
finish.  File my_scene.pov line 665798"

Are there simple ways to fix this problem?  Is more information needed to
help diagnose the problem / suggest a solution?